Parker Hayes posted a blog about the new series on Netflix called "House of Cards" in which the characters are constantly smoking cigarettes and he questions the reason for a new series feeling the need to have characters consistently do this action. Parker mentions the very true statement that smoking cigarettes is now not an iconic habit to have in any way like it was in the past. And I also do agree that TV shows can get around showing this action. Parker questions who is behind the idea to have the cigarettes be such a constant presences.
I agree with Parker's questions. I don't understand why the society is portrayed in a way that is similar to the 70s and 80s when cigarettes were actually that prevalent. This show is on Netflix which is known as a common TV and movie provider for the younger ages. There are many shows and movies that are only for kids and families. Therefore, I think it is very bad the way the cigarettes are everywhere in this show. A younger, more impressionable audience could easily pick up on this and start this extremely bad habit. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of cigarette business lobbyist in the background supporting the usage.
No comments:
Post a Comment