This post is in response to Prof Johnson's blog about facial recognition software and its use as a marketing tool and its privacy concerns. She asks multiple questions about our own experiences and its privacy concerns.
I can't say I've had any personal experience with it that I know of but I'm sure it has been and will be used. I'm very sure it is used for security purposes in certain situations or at least has been attempted. But when it comes to marketing and the argument of privacy, I'm not sure as to its application at the moment. I think that some sort of facial recognition programs can be installed over certain advertisements in situations like the mall. The recognition can be used to read reactions to certain ads. Then data can be compiled and analyzed to determine effectiveness and be able to make adjustments.
When it comes to privacy, I think many consumers may be uncomfortable with them being watched and studied in certain uncontrollable situations. But I don't think there's anything a consumer can do to avoid it. I know the technology is going to come soon and will be very common.
What ethical arguments could be brought up with this kind of technology is public settings?
No comments:
Post a Comment